VAN-TASTIC OPTIONS FOR YOUR GROWING BUSINESSJul 26th, 2018
The full-size cargo van market has grown in recent years, offering a full range of options for large businesses and independent contractors alike. Business owners and tradespeople now have several vehicles to choose from, each with their own offerings and customizations. Ladder racks, shelving, partitions, cargo storage options, even stand-up height workshops set up in the vehicle. A mobile business owner’s dream!
Let’s take a look at the main players in this segment and some of the highlights for each.
Despite the arrival of many Euro-style cargo vans, General Motors vans (Savana and Express) are still the bread and butter vehicles for most businesses. The models have historically offered a solid product, good reliability, and favourable resale value. Contractors have a high comfort level with this vehicle.
• 2500 and 3500 models, with regular and long wheelbase options. Passenger and cutaway models also available
• Cargo-carrying volume of up to 8054L of maximum cargo space and payload of up to 1880kg on cargo van version
• Standard 285hp 4.8L V8, optional 342hp 6.0L version, or Duramax 260hp 6.6L turbo diesel. In addition, you can specify a dedicated Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) system that’s integrated with a special version of the Vortec® 6.0L V8 engine for reduced operating costs
• Six-speed automatic transmission with integrated tow/haul mode (If you intend to use your Savana cargo van for towing, GM recommends the available Trailering Special Equipment Package. This package includes a weight distributing platform with trailer hitch receiver and a 7-lead wiring harness and connector)
• Improved electronics and internet options (the new OnStar 4G LTE system provides a mobile hub for the driver and passenger to connect to the internet, essentially making the van a Wi-Fi hotspot)
• Tire Pressure and oil life monitors
• StabiliTrak® monitors how the van is responding to steering and braking commands, helping you stay in control and on track, and reduces the risk of vehicle rollover.
• 3-year/60,000km Limited Bumper-to- Bumper Warranty, 5-year/160,000km Limited Powertrain Warranty, and 5-Year/ 160,000km 24-hr Roadside Assistance, Courtesy Transportation Program, and 2-Year Complimentary Lube-Oil-Filter Maintenance Program and OnStar System
RAM PROMASTER SERIES
Chrysler returned to the commercial cargo van market in an impressive way with the upfit-friendly Ram ProMasterTM. It’s affordable, efficient and packs Best-in-Class standard interior ceiling height make for a spacious work van. The steering is calibrated for outstanding maneuverability, making it well suited for tight in-city driving, and the Class-Exclusive front-wheel drive also contributes to a lower overall weight, and improved traction, especially in poor weather conditions.
• Offered in two roof heights, three wheelbases, and four body lengths, along with chassis cab and cutaway versions.
• Cargo van carrying volume of up to 13,108L, payload capacity of up to 2014kgs. and the towing capacity of up to 2313kgs.
• The standard engine is a 3.6 litre Pentastar V-6, rated at 280 horsepower with 260 ft. lbs. of torque. There is also a 3.0L 4cyl. EcoDiesel 1-4 rated at 174 horsepower and 295 ft. lbs. of torque (key for pulling power)
• The v6 model uses a 6 speed automatic while the 4cyl model uses an electronically controlled “six-speed automated manual” transmission. And unlike other vehicles in this category, the ProMaster features front-wheel-drive.
• Commercial-grade interior and Best-in-Class load floor height.
• Vertical sidewalls make for an extremely easy upfit and customization to a contractor’s needs.
• With no driveshaft or rear differential, the floor is lower
• 60/40 split-folding rear doors open a full 260 degrees for quick and efficient access to the cargo area.
• Recommended oil change intervals of 16,000 km for a lower cost of ownership.
• Basic Warranty coverage is 3 years / 60,000kms, with a 5-year/100,000km Powertrain Warranty and 24-hr Roadside Assistance
FORD TRANSIT SERIES
The Ford Transit is a major transformation of the full-size van we have been accustomed to driving. It offers an impressive line of vehicles to fit any business or lifestyle. Configuring a Transit for the cargo volume/payload or passenger capacity you need is incredibly easy. And with Ford’s stringent commercial truck standards for durability, the Transit is built to exceed expectations.
• Offered in 3 lengths (130-inch wheelbase, 148-inch wheelbase, and 148-inch wheelbase with extended body) and 3 roof heights (low, medium and high)
• Cargo van carrying volume from 6,985L for the 130-inch regular wheelbase with low roof to 13,797L for 148-inch long wheelbase/extended body and high roof.
• Cargo van payload range: 3,060 lbs. (1,388 kg) (single rear wheels) to 4,560 lbs. (2,109 kg) (dual rear wheels)
• Engine options include the 3.7L Ti-VCT V6 with advanced twin independent variable cam timing, available 3.5L EcoBoost® , or 3.2L I-5 Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel. Available FlexFuel and Alternative Fuel (Natual Gas or Propane) capability.
• Ford offers a 6-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission in all Transit models. This includes SelectShift® , giving you two additional modes of operation to choose from: Progressive Range Select lets you toggle on the shift lever to reduce the range of available gears while in Drive. Or choose Full Manual function that lets you pull the shift lever into “M” for manual mode and use the same toggle switch to select the gear desired.
• 4 fully integrated factory installed upfitter switches are available
• Lane-Keeping Alert and Ford SYNC for mobile communications and entertainment
• Rear hinged 50/50 cargo doors swing open 180 degrees on the 130-inch wheelbase model and 237 degrees on the 148-inch wheelbase models.
• Multiple window configurations
• Basic Warranty coverage is 3 years / 60,000kms and Powertrain Warranty is 5 years/100,000kms, including 24-hr Roadside Assistance.
NISSAN NV SERIES
Nissan came to the table with a full-size cargo van, when they offered the NV Series. To prove their commitment to a quality commercial vehicle, they are offering Canada’s best Limited Commercial Van Basic Warranty (5 years or 160,000kms, whichever comes first).
Promoting that your van can be your office, Nissan offers a variety of features that will make your daily life easier (available lockable center console that can hold a laptop or hanging file folders, under seat driver storage and even text-to-speech messaging to name a few)
• Available in a 1500 model, as well as 2500 & 3500 versions with 2 roof heights
• Cargo van carrying volume up to 9149L, Payload of up to 1738kgs and Towing Capacity of up to 4309kgs.
• Engine options include a 4.0-litre 261hp 24-valve DOHC V6 engine or a 5.6-litre 317hp DOHC 32-valve V8 engine
• Engines are paired with a 5-speed Automatic Transmission
• Standard vented front and rear disc brakes
• Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System, available NissanConnect℠ with Mobile Apps and Nissan Navigation System with 5.8″ (147 mm) colour touch-screen monitor satisfy the tech-focused customer
• Flat wheel wells to aid in stacking boxes (can handle 2 x 40″x48″ pallets or 4’x8′ sheets of drywall
• 243 degree opening rear doors (with optional inner door storage) and magnets hold the doors in their fully open position so you can easily get your gear out, while and easy sliding side door opens almost 3.5ft wide
• 5 year / 160,000km Basic and Powertrain Warranty
MERCEDES SPRINTER SERIES
Mercedes Sprinter has become a well sought after commercial vehicle. With multiple awards under its belt over the past few years, it continues to draw the interest of tradespeople and large business owners alike. Best-in-Class cargo volume, Best Retained Value (according to Canadian Black Book), Vincentric “Lowest Cost of Ownership”, and Best Fleet Value are only a few of its accolades.
• Available in 3 GVWRs, 3 roof heights, and 3 cargo lengths. Crew van and heavy duty suspension packages available.
• Best-in-Class cargo carrying volume of up to 16.6 cubic meters and payload capacity of up to 2498kgs and maximum towing of 2268kgs
• Choose from the 2.1L 4cyl. 161hp (265 ft-lb) or 3.0L V6 188hp (325 lb-ft torque) BlueTEC Diesel engines
• 7-spd Automatic Transmission with 2 overdrive gears or the 4 cylinder and 5-spd Automatic on the 3.0L V6 model
• Control panel with 14.7 cm (5.8 in) colour screen Bluetooth®, USB input, and Optional Becker® MAP PILOT Navigation System
• Optional heated front seats and heated windshield
• Electronic Stability Program
• Crosswind, Blind Spot, and Lane Keeping Assist
• Basic Warranty coverage is 3 years / 60,000kms with a 5-year/100,000km Powertrain Warranty (Diesel engine 5-year/160,000kms) and 24-hr Roadside Assistance
At Surgenor National Leasing we can help connect you with a cargo van that suits your needs. If you have an inquiry feel free to contact us with any questions.